Most jobs are relatively simple. Y'all volition larn how to carry our your duties after shadowing your colleagues for a day or two. You lot won't be the fastest, or the most efficient worker directly away, merely you volition handle the chore. What's more than, many companies accept splendid training programs in identify (or at least some training programs). They volition teach you how to practise everything in work… Bearing this in mind, does it actually make sense to inquire you about a relevant experience in an interview?

Information technology does make sense, in some cases. For example when you will work solitary, without supervision, and slap-up deal of independence will be expected from y'all from day one. Or when you apply for a rather specific chore (think compliance officer, maintenance technician, programmer with a specific software), and at that place won't be anyone in the visitor to teach you, considering nobody from the existing employees will accept the same skills.

What'due south more, not every interview question has to make sense. Hiring managers are also only people, and non all of them excel in their jobs. They may ask you a senseless question, just information technology's still a question, and y'all can't remain silent if you want to get a job. Sensible or not, you should get prepare, because you may confront this question.

Let'southward have a look at 7 sample answers. My listing includes some typical choices, but also some creative and philosophical answers, including answers for people with no previous experience. I promise you volition find on the list at least one answer you lot tin can use in your interview, bearing in mind your state of affairs and the job y'all are trying to become. Savor!

7 sample answers to "How is your previous experience relevant for this function?"

  1. I've worked in a retail store earlier, spending my days advising customers, trying to deliver a great client service. I know that a job in a call center is dissimilar, but at the end of the mean solar day it is also near communication with people, trying to understand their needs and wishes, and finding the correct words to motivate them to take a desired action. I honestly believe that my task in a clothing shop has prepared me for this position, and feel confident that I will handle the job, and accomplish good results.
  2. Speaking honestly, it is not very relevant. Because the only job I had so far was one with a fast food restaurant during my studies. I worked as a cashier and helped with basic food preparation. Notwithstanding, chore is a job, you lot demand to arrive on time each day, stay vigilant during the shift, and have care of your duties… I've heard great things well-nigh your corporation and the training plan you have in place. I believe that I have the intelligence and abilities to learn how to do the job well, and will become a valuable member of your squad, though I lack relevant experience. Just perchance sometimes motivation and drive can shell feel.
  3. I've lead XYZ project in my concluding job, and took care of ABC duties, as a part of my managerial role. Reading your job description and researching about your company, I got an impression that I would exist responsible for similar projects at your identify–please correct me if I am incorrect. I dealt with all challenges such projects advise, including tight deadlines, adapting to changes on the become, and a constant need to re-evaluate the milestones and hire new employees. I didn't practice badly in my terminal job, and honestly believe that my experience is highly relevant for this position, and volition help me profoundly.
  1. Well, I'll be working mostly with XYZ software in your company. Yous should know that I've been working with this software for seven years already, including ABC modules, and I've managed to master the functionality. Hence, at to the lowest degree in my opinion, my experience is highly relevant for the job, and I can't await to use my existing noesis to help to improve the processes in your company.
  2. My previous experience isn't relevant to this task, because I have no previous experience. Simply you do not accept to be the smartest girl in the metropolis to become a neat receptionist… I will certainly take to learn to piece of work with the software you lot use at the reception desk, and also learn how to attach to the code of conduct you accept in place for your receptionists. But this is not some specialty knowledge, and shadowing my colleagues in work, and questioning them about the job, I am sure I can acquire to handle my duties in no time. What's more than, I believe to have what it takes to be a great receptionist–first-class communication and organizational skills, and want to go above and beyond for the guests. In my stance, everything is much easier with this attitude.
  3. Equally y'all tin run into on my resume, I've had completely different jobs before. My feel isn't relevant, but that's exactly the reason why I am here. I experienced a exhaustion, and I demand a career change. I know that I will take to learn a lot of things to do a corking task in your visitor. But I am fix to put in the extra effort, and motivated to learn to practise new things. Starting from scratch is never easy, but I am confident I will handle the job, and hope that you volition give me a adventure to prove my abilities.
  4. In my opinion, everything relates to everything. Information technology may look similar my experience isn't relevant, but I believe that regardless of the place of piece of work, we experience the same tricky situations everywhere: conflicts with colleagues, trying to meet a tight borderline, overcoming some challenges, struggling to run across the monthly goals, etc. Simply like I experienced these situations in my previous jobs, I will experience them in your company, just the circumstances will be unlike. What's more than, I know that your company has splendid processes in place for everything, and employees should piece of work co-ordinate to them. And then in my view it makes no departure whether I accept a relevant experience or not. What matters is a willingness to learn and to follow your way of doing things, to adhere to the processes. I tin assure yous that I am willing to practise so, and motivated to learn new skills…

Everything relates to everything–you just need to find the connection

In fact in that location is nothing like a completely irrelevant working feel. In each job yous deal with people, processes, tasks, goals. They may exist different from one place to another, but in each place you have to communicate with colleagues or customers, handle your responsibilities, and follow the processes and regulations they accept in place.

There is always some connection, and your goal is to demonstrate this connection in an interview, so the hiring managers see that your feel is relevant, though it may non seem to be the case. Cheque sample answers no. 1, no. 2, or no. 7 as a skilful illustration of how you lot can do it.

No experience is non a showstopper

If yous apply for your beginning job, or first real chore (not counting in some part time jobs or volunteering roles you had at school), and they ask you most relevant experience (peradventure because they have the question on their list and ask each job candidate the same questions), it is all right to say that you lot have no experience.

They read your resume (or at to the lowest degree they should read it earlier the interview) and know about your lack of experience. If they invited you for an interview, it means that lack of feel is not as showstopper. But you should elaborate on your reply.

Yous can praise their excellent training program, when yous find out that they have one in place. Or you can emphasize your motivation to learn and work hard, or refer to the relative simplicity of the job (anyone tin learn information technology and experience isn't actually important, every bit long every bit there is motivation). Come across sample answers no. 2, no. five, and no. half dozen every bit a proficient instance of demonstrating this attitude.

If you have a relevant experience, you lot should share more than details

In almost all cases and interviews, a relevant experience is a plus, though information technology is rarely the deciding factor. Anyway, if you had the aforementioned position earlier, or were responsible for similar tasks, or worked with similar software products and systems in your former jobs, yous should definitely mention information technology.

But you lot shouldn't just say that you have the experience. Try to be more than specific. Tell them how long you've worked with this or that thing, what exactly you did with that, and how it relates to the job you try to get with their company.

Remember that they practise not know what exactly you did in your last job. Things that may seem obvious to y'all may not exist obvious to your interviewers. The amend you lot explicate the relevancy of your by experience, the easier it volition be for them to see the connection, and to give you some credit for your reply…

Set up to answer this ane? I hope so! But it won't exist the but difficult question you will face in your interview. Check our Interview Success Bundle for keen answers to all tricky interview questions (104 in total, including the dreaded behavioral questions), and make sure that you won't make whatsoever mistakes when it counts the most.

Alternatively yous may cheque 7 sample answers to another interview questions, available for anybody who visits our website:

  • What's the best project you've e'er worked on?
  • How do y'all motivate others?
  • Author
  • Recent Posts

Matthew Chulaw

Latest posts by Matthew Chulaw (encounter all)